Sunday, July 15, 2012

Giving Back

Tsedakah- or performing acts of kindness and charity for others, with no motive for gain for yourself is a large part of Judaism.  I readily admit, I've grown away from my religious roots as I've grown older, but recent events shook me back into remembering those early lessons.

While I fervently wish that it didn't take the passing of a dear, childhood friend to remind me, I'm viewing this as a gift from a very difficult loss- or perhaps a much needed celestial kick in the tush.   This weekend, I started my first projects for our local NICU.  My friend was a NICU nurse and fought hard to help those tiny babies grow strong and go to their families.   She often spoke of how grateful the unit was for anything soft, lovely and handmade to give to the families.  It was a small comfort for families going through a difficult, emotional experience.

So, I got my answer to what can I do to honor her memory and help others in need.   Two phone calls later and I have a donation wish list from my local hospital's wish list for the NICU.  I'm crafty, have materials on hand and time.   There is a need- for preemie sized blankets, hats, booties, mittens and onesies.  Sewing a bunting or simple blanket takes very little time.  I know I can make toys, little quilts and put those crochet hooks and skeins of yarn to good use.  Even rosaries and prayer beads as well.

There may be a few tears in the first few projects, but a whole lot of love too.

And Jannie, if you're watching from above... thank you for the reminder.   This is a much better use of time and energy.   Smile down and bless my hands dear friend.   They have a lot of work to do.

No comments: